Parents, please, please, please, stop taking your kids out to dinner at bedtime!
I work as a server in a restaurant, I also have two children, I know what a good bedtime is for kids. Therefore when I see a child out at a restaurant right before, at or during bedtime I feel super frustrated.
First off, I feel sorry for that poor kid. It's only a matter of time before they get too hyper, or start to break down and their parents are pulling them outside to yell at them or threaten them to behave. Really? You're putting your child into a situation that you know isn't going to go well, children can't control themselves when they are hungry or tired, let alone both. Throw in expecting them to sit still for a hour or two and it's like you just asked them to define centripetal force. It's not happening. Period.
Here's what you can do:
1. Don't go to dinner at bedtime.
2. Get a sitter.
3. If it has to happen go prepared. Make sure they get a good nap during the daytime. Feed them before you go, they will have a better chance of behaving if they are just tired, not hungry and tired. Bring toys that are restaurant friendly: books, crayons, play dough (my personal favorite), puzzles, etc.
4. Ask your server to bring the kids food first, that way they can eat quickly before they loose it. It will also give them something to do.
5. Take it easy on your kid, they are doing the best that they can! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment